What we believe
MCU is a campus-based, evangelical, Christian student group/club (not a church!) - which simply means MCU students are committed to opening the Bible together at Murdoch University and reading it carefully and thoughtfully and seeking to apply its teaching to our lives.
It’s important to be clear about where we stand about essentials of Christianity, so here’s our formal ‘Doctrinal Basis’. Everyone who speaks at MCU, the Committee and all formal members of MCU must agree to these points.
MCU upholds these fundamental truths of the Christian faith:
- The divine inspiration and infallibility of Holy Scripture as originally given and its supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The unity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit in the Godhead.
- The universal sinfulness and guilt of humanity since the fall, rendering men and women subject to God’s wrath and condemnation.
- The conception of Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit and his birth by the Virgin Mary.
- Redemption from the guilt, penalty and power of sin only though the sacrificial death, as our representative and substitute, of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God.
- The bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
- The necessity of the work of the Holy Spirit to make the death of Christ effective in the individual sinner, granting him or her repentance towards God, and faith in Jesus Christ.
- The indwelling and work of the Holy Spirit in the believer.
- The expectation of the personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ.
You’ll notice these truths are shared by every genuine Christian. They are all clearly taught in the Bible and are matters on which all Christians who are committed to the Bible will agree on. If you are a Christian and agree with this, please join us in fellowship.
Also notice that here is nothing ‘denominational’ about any of them. MCU is inter-denominational, multi-denominational and non-denominational (all at the same time!). MCU is also international, with many nations represented in our gatherings.
We are united and immovable in the essentials, and flexible about non-essentials. We are always willing to be sharpened by the Word of God and be transformed by renewing our minds. As evangelicals, we are always committed to submitting to the authority of the Bible, not ‘institutionalised religion’, not the most popular speakers, or the latest fads in Christianity or in our culture. Evangelicals submit to God as He has revealed Himself in the Scriptures, not to people.
Anyone and everyone is welcome to come to any MCU event. You’ll find MCU is full of Christians from all sorts of churches and denominations around Perth, as well as those who are not yet convinced about the claims of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Come and join us as we search the Scriptures together.